We Got A Laser!
At the beginning of the 2018-2019 school year, we received a Glowforge to incorporate into our inquiry based learning.
Benefits of content creation tools like a Glowforge
- Creativity and Innovation: The Glowforge machine can bring students' ideas to life. It allows them to design and create objects from various materials, promoting creativity and innovation.
- Critical Thinking and Problem Solving: Working with a laser cutter/engraver requires careful planning and problem-solving. Students will need to think critically about their designs, considering factors like the material being used, the scale of their project, and how the pieces will fit together.
- Technical Skills and Digital Literacy: Learning how to use the Glowforge machine, as well as associated design software, helps students develop important technical skills. They'll gain experience in digital design, machine operation, and possibly basic maintenance, all of which are valuable in our increasingly tech-focused world.
- STEM Education: The Glowforge machine provides a hands-on way to explore concepts in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM). For instance, students can learn about lasers, properties of different materials, software design, and the process of turning a digital design into a physical object.
- Collaboration: Group projects on the Glowforge can promote teamwork, as students will need to work together to plan their designs and monitor the engraving/cutting process.
- Real-World Applications: The Glowforge offers an insight into manufacturing processes used in many industries, from product design to fashion. This can provide valuable career insights and inspire entrepreneurship.