Cardboard New York City skyline with lights served as a backdrop to our custom Harlem Renaissance inspired sneakers.
Renaissance can mean a lot of things...
- Historical Period: The Renaissance was a significant cultural and intellectual movement that originated in Italy during the 14th century and lasted until the 17th century. This period saw significant developments in art, literature, music, science, philosophy, and politics, and is often characterized by an increased interest in the learning and values of the classical world (Ancient Greece and Rome). Key figures include Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo, and William Shakespeare.
- Revival or Rebirth: More generally, the term 'renaissance' is used to denote any period of intense activity or revival in the interest of something. It comes from the French word for 'rebirth.' For example, you might say there is a "renaissance of vinyl records," suggesting a renewed popular interest in this old medium.
- In Individual Development: In a personal sense, someone may be said to be experiencing a 'renaissance' when they are undergoing a significant change, revitalization, or new period of growth in their life. This could involve a newfound interest in art, literature, or even a change in career or life philosophy.
- Renaissance Man/Woman: This term is used to describe a person who is well-educated, and excels in a wide range of fields. It is derived from the polymathic individuals of the historical Renaissance, who excelled in numerous areas of the arts, sciences, and physical skills. Leonardo da Vinci is often upheld as a prime example of a 'Renaissance Man'.
- Harlem Renaissance: This refers to an intellectual, social, and artistic explosion centered in Harlem, New York, spanning the 1920s. It was a form of 'renaissance' for African American culture, and played a significant role in redefining African American expression in the United States.